Military Students at UMHB

Military VA

Getting Started

Have a general statement about the 'getting started' page.

  1. Apply to UMHB
  2. Request to use VA Benefits
  3. Required VA Forms
  4. EBenefits
  5. Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
  6. Montgomery GBill Active Duty (Chapter 30)
  7. Post 9/11 GiBill (Chapter 33)
  8. Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
  9. Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  10. Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)
  11. Contact Information

Step 1: Apply to UMHB

At UMHB, we’re passionate about providing an education that prepares you for success in every area of life. It’s what you should expect from a university... it’s what we strive to provide. For information about the process, deadlines, and ways to be admitted, visit Apply now! >>

**Transfer Information should be directed to:

Admissions Contact:
Nick Jones

Step 2: Request to use VA Benefits

Located here is the form needed to begin the process of requesting to use your VA benefits here at UMHB. Tab 3 gives you guided information on additional required information needed.

Certification Process:

  1. Become accepted to UMHB
  2. Turn in VA paperwork
  3. Get advised for registration
  4. Register for courses
  5. Notify VA Certifying official of registration
  6. File place in queue for processing
  7. You are certified

Step 3: Required VA Forms

COE- Certificate of Eligibility
Military Transcripts-

ARMY (AARTS Transcript):
NAVY (SMARTS Transcript): (if vet does not have a Navy Knowledge Online account then click on "Official SMART Request Form" link)
MARINES (SMARTS Transcript): (this website will connect to the Navy website but the Marine vet must click on "Official SMART Request Form" link if vet does not have a Marine Knowledge Online account)
AIRFORCE (CCAF Transcript):
(click on TRANSCRIPT ORDERING & EVALUATION of CREDIT PROCESS link - right hand side of page scroll half way down.)

COAST GUARD (CGI Transcript): (click on Voluntary Education Link then Official Transcript then Official USCG Transcript Request form CGI-1564.
1995 Form (if applicable)

Family Members:
COE-Certificate for Eligibility
1995 Form
(if Applicable)

Step 4: EBenefits

This service is available to you the Veteran and your dependents by the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense. eBenefits your gateway to benefit information.

EBenefits! >>

Step 5: Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents or certain veterans. Dependents receive up to 45 months of full-time benefits. Children generally are eligible for benefits between the ages of 18 and 26.

Step 6: Montgomery GBill Active Duty (Chapter 30)

The Montgomery GI Bill is for individuals who have served on Active Duty. Benefits are provided up to 36 months and generally must be used within 10 years of discharge. This bill can be applied for prior to discharge. The monthly benefit paid is based on the length of service, category, and DoD put kickers into your MGIB Fund (if applicable). Monthly W.A.V.E. (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) verification is needed to receive payments.

Step 7: Post 9/11 GiBill (Chapter 33)

The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for veterans, military, and military family members based upon the service member completing at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service- connected disability after 30 days. This benefit pays in-state tuition and required fees directly to the university. Additionally, students will receive a payment of up to $1,000 annually ($41.67 per credit hour) for books and supplies and a monthly housing allowance based on the DoD Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rate for E-5’s with dependents*. The amount of this benefit varies from 40% to 100% depending on the length of active duty service. *Amount varies annually. Non-resident students receiving the Post 9/11 GI Bill may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program which funds tuition expenses that exceed the in-state tuition and fee rates.

Step 8: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)

The Reserve Educational Assistance Program is a Department of Defense program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the reserve components ordered to active duty in response to a war or a national emergency declared by the President or Congress. These components include Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Army IRR, Air Force IRR, Navy IRR and Marine Corps IRR. A member ordered to active service while serving in the reserve component remains entitled to benefits under REAP only by continuing to serve in the reserve component. Entitlement under REAP is 36 months. There is a 48-month limitation when combining this benefit with one or more education programs. Monthly wave verification is needed to receive payments.

Step 9: Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Reservists may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits. Benefit entitlement ends 14 years from the date of eligibility for the program, or on the day of separation from the Selected Reserve. One exception to this rule exists if a reservist is mobilized, their eligibility may be extended for the amount of time mobilized PLUS four months. Even if personnel leave the reserves after mobilization, they may have additional eligibility in the Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR). Monthly W.A.V.E (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) verification is required to receive payments.

Step 10: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) is for veterans who have a service-connected disability. To receive services, a veteran must be found both eligible and entitled. The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E services may be used is 12 years from the date of separation from active military service or 12 years from the date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating. This benefit pays the school directly for the student’s books, tuition and fees. In addition, the student will receive a subsistence allowance that is paid each month during training and is based on the rate of attendance (full-time or part-time) and the number of dependents. Application Requirements The applicant needs to meet with a VA counselor to apply for Chapter 31 benefits or apply online Once the VA has determined eligibility, he or she will send authorization to the Veteran Services Office to certify enrollment and set up the benefit with UMHB.

Step 11: Contact Information

Enrollment certification questions should be directed to:

Military Services Coordinator
Sanderford Administrative Complex, Room 1301
UMHB Station Box 8425
900 College Street
Belton, TX 76513
Phone: 254-295-4236
Fax: 254-295-5052

VA Contact

Eligibility and payment questions should be directed to:

Regional Office

Department of Veterans Affairs
Regional Office
125 South Main Street
Muskogee, OK 74401
1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)


Helpful Numbers and Websites

  • Muskogee Education Office: 1-888-GIBILL-1 or 1-888-442-4551
  • Non-education Related VA Info and Questions:1-800-827-1000
  • Direct Deposit: 1-877-838-2778
  • Education and Benefits Service: