Military Students at UMHB

Benefit Options

The UMHB Office of the Registrar serves as a liaison between student veterans and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.  The primary responsibility of our VA Certifying Officials is to assist veterans with the processing of VA forms for educational benefits and to certify enrollment of UMHB veterans to the Department of Veterans Affairs.  UMHB does not make decisions on individual claims.

Under What Chapter Should I Claim Benefits?

Montgomery GI Bill - Chapter 30

Entered Active Duty after June 30, 1985.  Completed at least two years continuous active service, contributed $1200 to the program, received a high school diploma or GED, and received an honorable discharge. 

Complete the online application:

Remember to verify your attendance each month by visiting
or by calling the VA's toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

Reserve GI Bill - Chapter 1606

Any person who enlists or extends an enlistment in the Selective Reserve for not less than six years, in addition to any other period of obligation after June 30, 1985 and completed high school or GED, IADT, 180 days of service in the selected reserve and is satisfactorily participating in required training in the selected service. 

Complete the online application:

Remember to verify your attendance each month by visiting
or by calling the VA's toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378..

Survivors' and Dependents Educational Assistance - Chapter 35

This portion of 38 U.S.C. authorizes educational benefits to dependents and survivors of certain veterans who have serious disabilities as the result of their service (100% disabled) or who have died of a service-connected cause, were a prisoner of war, or missing in action.

Complete the online Application for Survivors' and Dependents" Educational Assistance (Form 22-5490):

For each month that you are attending classes, you will receive your benefit payment the first day of the following month. For example, for the month of September you will receive that payment on October 1st. Please be aware that partial months of attendance are pro-rated. For example, August and December are pro-rated for the fall semester.

Note: These types of benefits are sent directly to the student and will not be paid to UMHB.

Vocational Rehabilitation - Chapter 31

Veterans who have been declared disabled by the Department of Veterans Affairs due to service related injury. 

  • Meet with a VA Counselor to apply for Chapter 31 benefits or apply online at
  • Submit a valid VA form 28-1905 and the Request for Certification Form to the VA Coordinator. The VA Form 28-1905 may be valid for more than one semester, but the Request for Certification Form needs to be submitted every semester you use Chapter 31.
Activated Reservists after September 11, 2001 - Chapter 1607

The National Defense Authorizated Act of 2016 ended REAP on November 25, 2015. Some individuals will remain eligible for REAP benefits until November 25, 2019, while others are no longer eligible for REAP benefits. For questions regarding eligibility, contact the ®GI Bill Hotline at 1-888-442-4551.

Post-9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. This program will pay eligible individuals:

    • Complete the online application:
    • tuition & fees directly to the school not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition & fees at a public institution of Higher Learning. See chart listing maximum in-state tuition rates.
    • a monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. To determine the BAH for your school's ZIP code click here (link goes to a non-VA website) 
    • For those attending foreign schools (schools without a main campus in the U.S.) the BAH rate is fixed at $1,333.00 for 2009.
    • The books and supplies stipend is paid directly to you. It pays out $41.67 per credit hour up to $1000 per academic year. NOTE: These amounts are based on 100% eligibility. If your eligibility percentage is below 100, the payments will be prorated at your percentage.